Department Manager - Long Island City, NY Job
Date: Sep 23, 2020
Location:Long Island City, NY, US, 11101
Company: BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
BJ’s Wholesale Club will be continuing its expansion efforts in New York this year. BJ's Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 17 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
We are looking for talented retail managers, interested in growing with a growing company, to join our team in a variety of departments. Our retail department managers are responsible for every aspect of the day-to-day operations of a Club department, including sales, merchandise, employees, and customer service. Our department manager’s role is to run a Club department successfully. Our department managers are in regular contact with customers and employees, responsible for ensuring excellent customer service, teaching, coaching and developing their teams, and monitoring the financial performance of their respective departments. If you have the baseline skills, we have a great training program that will help teach you everything else you need to know.
At times, our department managers may also be responsible to manage the entire Club, including all Club departments, to ensure excellent customer engagement, to address any and all concerns brought forward, and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Prioritizes, builds and manages a culture of service excellence within the department, and across the Club.
- Engages with customers and employees in a positive way; skilled in problem solving and resolution.
- Understands the business, reporting, and customer insights to understand, troubleshoot, and follow up on opportunity areas.
- Selects, trains, assesses, and develops employees.
- Plans department workload to support business priorities and manages a team to deliver service and sales goals.
- Establishes a culture of development and accountability through clear expectations and performance management (observe, recognize and coach) on critical behaviors.
- Models a culture of ethical conduct, sanitation and safety standards, and compliance with all club policies and procedures, and lead team to work in the same way.
- High school diploma, college degree, and/or big box wholesale, retail, grocery and/or management experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of retail business fundamentals.
- Strong business acumen, including problem analysis, decision making, financial and quantitative analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including managing/supervising cross-functional teams, coaching, teaching and developing employees, and driving and communicating results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills and an attention to detail.
- Open shift availability preferred.
- At least 18 years of age.
Environmental Job Conditions
- Most of the time is spent moving about on hard surfaces. Frequently need to stand, bend, handle, pull, push, reach, climb and stoop.
- Frequently requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. May require lifting and moving heavy and/or awkward objects more than 30 pounds with assistance.
- Located in a comfortable indoor environment with frequent exposure to temperature extremes from freezers, ovens and/or coolers.
- There may be frequent exposure to cleaning agents.
BJ's Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.