Position: Assistant Product Developer (Non Apparel) - 218
Reports to: Product Developer
Direct Reports: No
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Location: 3880 N Mission Los Angeles, CA 90031
With new owners and strong leadership, Forever 21 is evolving into what can only be described as a well known retail turnaround! Now owned by SPARC Simon Property Group, and Authentic Brands Group, and led by CEO Daniel Kulle, 2020 was a year of reconstructing the foundation of this popular fashion brand to deliver amazing products that our customers expect to be trendy, relevant and value to them. We're implementing new strategic priorities across the company, determined to make Forever 21 a place where top technologists, creatives, and merchandizers will come to make their mark on the future of fast fashion retail with an enhanced commitment to sustainability and community engagement. We welcome anyone to who has big ideas and is willing to roll up their sleeves to make those ideas a reality. There are no "ivory tower" roles at Forever 21. From the C-Suite to the Brand Associates, we're making our transformation happen together. If you’re obsessed to serve our customer, if you elevate any team you work on, and if you are passionate about fashion, we want to hear from you!
The Assistant Product Developer will communicate with overseas vendors and buyers to facilitate a smooth production development process and ensure timely receipt of prototypes.
- Present development sheets to the supervisor for approval and partner with vendors specifying what pieces are being required for product development
- Follow-up with vendors/factories on all styles and communicate any changes or additional details
- Partner with vendors to source trims and fabrics
- Research multiple fashion sources to stay current on emerging trends and identify the key trends to adapt them into wearable styles for assigned group
- Acquire knowledge of development sheets and the material, color, and construction of pieces
- Keep track of all development reporting requirements including line plan analysis, timing and action tracking, calendar actualization, and developed versus adopted reports in order to achieve target adoption rate and improve the development process for future seasons
- Provide guidance in fitting on style direction for new developments and make necessary changes in garment design and construction
- Research customer reviews for design feedback to in current and future development
- Perform any other support duties to ensure that product development activities meet timeline and quality goals set by the supervisor
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Merchandising, Marketing, Design or similar preferred
- Must have 1-2 years of experience in Product Development or Buying
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Must possess basic Microsoft and Excel skills
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator preferred
- Ability to sketch design details and garment construction preferred
- Must have a basic understanding of the production process and timing
- Market awareness and understanding of fashion designers, blogs, competitive retailers and trend required
- Knowledge of silhouettes, fabrication, color/print usage, graphics, embellishment layouts, and trim required
- Must be flexible and adapt well to fast paced, rapidly changing work environment
What we Expect
Customer Obsession: You know who your customer is and working in service to them is working in
service to our end consumer.
Commitment to Top Talent: You are passionate about working with the best possible people. You know how to attract them, develop them, and teach others to do the same.
Retail is Detail: The details tell the real story! You are obsessed with quality product, quality experience, quality regardless of the segment of the company that your role occupies. Even if you find some details challenging, you know who to ask for backup because what is most important is that your customer has the most excellent experience possible.
Entrepreneurial Spirit: Your work is not just your job, it’s your passion. You have and act on ideas about how to make your role, your department, and the company a better place. You know why you want to be part of building Forever 21’s future, are a highly collaborative and resourceful individual who can function at a high level, and are committed to collaborating every day.
Forever 21 will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Ordinance NO. 184652.